- At the 4-8 true leaf stage:
- To measure plant population where the crop has been drilled in rows, count the number of plants in 1m length of row at 4-8 true leaf stage. Measure and record the row width (cm).
- If the crop has been broadcast, count the number of plants in a 1m x 0.5m area.
- Estimate the % leaf area affected by CSFB damage at the sampling position (using the figure below).
- Take an overhead photograph of the assessment area. Repeat this at another four positions across the field.
This assessment can be done later if your crop is more forward.